free hit counter Trail Seeker

Monday, April 23, 2007

 
What a sunny day! Tomorrow hints of overcast and chance of rain, but the rest of the week holds a lot of promise for seeing some sun again. Maybe I can get my wind turbine up in the air this week. I plan to have it up at 34 feet, right now it sits at 10 feet and gives hints at it's capability when the wind kicks up. It is getting hooked up to the shop for now and is experimental in nature. Some day I would like to go off grid, but for now I dabble with alternate power.

My next research project is how to keep cats from using raised garden beds as a big kitty box! Perhaps some hot pepper spray or run some wire and hooking it up to the solar electric fencer? I like to let my chickens roam free, but they like to tear up the beds, I finally got them to stay in the field(rather than the yard), but some predator nabbed my rooster this spring. I think I may need to get a few new chickens and pay the price to the predator gods from time to time.

I am not a cook, but I am currently trying out some new dishes to expand my rather narrow line up. Todays new dish was beef taco skillet dish, substituting the beef with turkey burger. Seemed to be a hit around here. The next dish will be a cheesy chicken and rice bake.

I have been watching a British show called Escape to River Cottage, about fellow named Hugh who leaves the big city to live in Dorset to live off the fat of the land. He takes foods he grows and can harvest from nature and makes culinary dishes. The term "downsizer" appears in the show, a term that suggests folks who live much more simply. It has been an inspiring show.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?