Monday, March 13, 2006

I have changed my reading material, it used to be church related and though there are a couple of books still on the list in that dept. my satiation with them is near the carrying capacity. Right now I am reading Ray Jardine's "Beyond Backpacking" It's an all you want to know on ultra light backpacking. I get a few pages in here and there such as when I am waiting at school for my daughter after track practice. Considering those I have been around, my pack weight is not so bad, compared to Ray, i am carrying quite the load. My pack with food and H2O is under 35 lb., I have heard of 50-60 lb. pack weights, but with my frame, I couldn't do that, period.
On Ray's first hike across the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) his pack weight (minus food and water) was 25 lb. on his third trip on the PCT his pack weight was less than 9 lb.. Embarrassingly, my pack alone is around 5 lb.. It is obvious that a lighter pack equals more miles a day that are less stressful to the body. I don't think I will get that light any time soon, but I do plan to whittle away the ounces over time and reduce the weight considerably. I am looking forward to this summer.