Wednesday, February 15, 2006
It snowed this morning, big puffy flakes. I thought we were past this kind of potential WX. There is also an artic front heading our way too, time to bring extra firewood.
I have not made contact with Peter One, I have heard them on more than one frequency and even spent some time trying to make contact but with many others tossing our thier callsigns over a 5-10 megahertz range, find the frequency the station is listening to can be a challenge. These operators work what is called splits, they listen over a range of frequencies while transmitting on another, that way the station can be heard with out the every one else calling on his transmitting frequency. The challenge to improve the odds of making a contact in this case is to find where he last worked a station and transmit there. It would help if I had an amplifier, but that isn't always necessary. They have already made some 50,000 contacts on the air, over 50% of the contacts were CW (morse code). They have made one contact via EME (earth-moon-earth, bouncing a signal off the moon).
Suitsat is dead, sounds as if the batteries froze up since there wasn't anything to keep them warm.
My wife got an email from her sister, there Mom is in the hospital and not doing to good. She said her levels of everything was low, they have drawn a lot of blood to test and given her 2 liters of it. It doesn't sound good, but I don't know what the prognosis is yet. We will be updated tomorrow.
I have not made contact with Peter One, I have heard them on more than one frequency and even spent some time trying to make contact but with many others tossing our thier callsigns over a 5-10 megahertz range, find the frequency the station is listening to can be a challenge. These operators work what is called splits, they listen over a range of frequencies while transmitting on another, that way the station can be heard with out the every one else calling on his transmitting frequency. The challenge to improve the odds of making a contact in this case is to find where he last worked a station and transmit there. It would help if I had an amplifier, but that isn't always necessary. They have already made some 50,000 contacts on the air, over 50% of the contacts were CW (morse code). They have made one contact via EME (earth-moon-earth, bouncing a signal off the moon).
Suitsat is dead, sounds as if the batteries froze up since there wasn't anything to keep them warm.
My wife got an email from her sister, there Mom is in the hospital and not doing to good. She said her levels of everything was low, they have drawn a lot of blood to test and given her 2 liters of it. It doesn't sound good, but I don't know what the prognosis is yet. We will be updated tomorrow.