Saturday, October 08, 2005
Demo Garden
Tuesday Oct 4 (published Oct 8)
There is a break in the weather today, some one turned on the rain faucet last week and it won't really be turned off till spring. The nice day worked well since it was the day that our master gardener demo garden gets a cleaned up and readied for winter. I got the herb garden area to work on, it was nice that it worked out that way, I like herb gardens. It started out a small work crew, but a few more people floated in later which really made the work go faster and the company was nice.
Bonnie, our resident compost lady, showed up and proceeded to set up a sheet composting bed. That is something I would like to try soon. She does all kinds of composting, others include hot composting and worm composting. In the latter type of composting, worms are used to eat the compostable table scraps and camp out in damp shredded newpaper, although in a short time even the paper will have been comsumed.
This is also a great time to pick up a few plant starts that are pulled up and cleaned out. I picked up a few, including a couple of new sage varieties and a couple of plants that I should have written their names down.

Jesse (above photo) was an invited guest who worked hard cleaning out one of the flower beds. She also likes to compost, I love the end product of composting, but I need to take more notes on how to do it with out breaking ones back mixing it. One way I do it is to just pile it up, then let it work down. Thats a very slow process, on the other hand I use a modified black 55 gallon drum to throw chipped and shredded yard wastes in and a nitrogen source, then roll it around to mix it. This stuff can really warm up if done right and I can have several or more batches of compost for the garden beds in one season.
Around mid day Barb showed up, she is the person in charge over the master garden program for our county and a near by county. She is the type if you bring her the wierdest questions, she most likely has seen it and has tips about it.

Jack (photo above) is pruning the espalier apple tree that is growing along the fence line with some assistance from Jane.
An update, as of now, Fort Clatsup doesn't appear to have been set by arson and the silver lining is that they can now rebuild it more historically correct, on the other hand, I have heard they are already running into red tape, there is just to many laws.
There is a break in the weather today, some one turned on the rain faucet last week and it won't really be turned off till spring. The nice day worked well since it was the day that our master gardener demo garden gets a cleaned up and readied for winter. I got the herb garden area to work on, it was nice that it worked out that way, I like herb gardens. It started out a small work crew, but a few more people floated in later which really made the work go faster and the company was nice.
Bonnie, our resident compost lady, showed up and proceeded to set up a sheet composting bed. That is something I would like to try soon. She does all kinds of composting, others include hot composting and worm composting. In the latter type of composting, worms are used to eat the compostable table scraps and camp out in damp shredded newpaper, although in a short time even the paper will have been comsumed.
This is also a great time to pick up a few plant starts that are pulled up and cleaned out. I picked up a few, including a couple of new sage varieties and a couple of plants that I should have written their names down.

Jesse (above photo) was an invited guest who worked hard cleaning out one of the flower beds. She also likes to compost, I love the end product of composting, but I need to take more notes on how to do it with out breaking ones back mixing it. One way I do it is to just pile it up, then let it work down. Thats a very slow process, on the other hand I use a modified black 55 gallon drum to throw chipped and shredded yard wastes in and a nitrogen source, then roll it around to mix it. This stuff can really warm up if done right and I can have several or more batches of compost for the garden beds in one season.
Around mid day Barb showed up, she is the person in charge over the master garden program for our county and a near by county. She is the type if you bring her the wierdest questions, she most likely has seen it and has tips about it.

Jack (photo above) is pruning the espalier apple tree that is growing along the fence line with some assistance from Jane.
An update, as of now, Fort Clatsup doesn't appear to have been set by arson and the silver lining is that they can now rebuild it more historically correct, on the other hand, I have heard they are already running into red tape, there is just to many laws.
Comments:
<< Home
Can't wait for your audio post TS.
Maybe if you like it you can talk Jo into doing one and then maybe Jo will hook me up. :)
Post a Comment
Maybe if you like it you can talk Jo into doing one and then maybe Jo will hook me up. :)
<< Home
