Saturday, May 21, 2005
Blogging, a nice way to journal
I was reading through some of my past blogs and I enjoyed the read, alot better than the journal I kept on my mission. That journal was well filled up with regular entries but I can't make heads or tail of half of it. The other half is filled with personnal trials like my companion is a nit wit or my campanion is cool and I am a nit wit, sigh. But here, I can follow my posts and enjoy rereading them.
I was never the greatest in writing skills, and envied those who can take an ordinary situation and fill it with so much thought, awareness and expression. My oldest Daughter does that when writing stories, I like how she sets up the enviroment, expresses the characters feelings and so on.
I started the blog in late fall and my backpacking window was over for the year and I looked forward to the days we could hit the trail even when it was just part of the day. What has been wonderful was the realization that just down the road from our place is timber land(privately managed timber), the roads are gated now, sometimes they open them up during hunting season and I have taken the oppertunity to do just that, but I haven't been out for the past few years hunting. Since the gates are locked we can hike along the wooded, reprodded, and clear cut forests roads with out disturbance. Okay some disturbances do occur, like today we came upon a turkey, but what was really exciting was she had a quiver full of recently hatch chicks. When we got up to where she was, the chick all scattered and mother hen darted around us throwing a fuss with her wings stretched down trying to chase us away. We moved along and could hear her clucking away trying to regroup her little family.
We have been getting 6 plus miles on some of these walks and it is so nice to be there with my best friend and wife and getting in shape. And speaking of shape, we plan to reclimb middle sister this summer, a 10,000 foot peak we tried last year and with in 20 minutes from the summit a couple in our group just plain ran out of steam. My wife could hardly stand to go back down the steep descent to the saddle between Middle and North Sister. Once we got to the saddle a little lower elevation she started to perk up. to make the decent easier we took a different route down that allowed us to slide on our butts down a glacier. Once we got down we took our geocaching skills and let the GPS guide us back to our packs. A couple of photos I have posted in the past were from that trip.
Click on this image to see a larger size
I was never the greatest in writing skills, and envied those who can take an ordinary situation and fill it with so much thought, awareness and expression. My oldest Daughter does that when writing stories, I like how she sets up the enviroment, expresses the characters feelings and so on.
I started the blog in late fall and my backpacking window was over for the year and I looked forward to the days we could hit the trail even when it was just part of the day. What has been wonderful was the realization that just down the road from our place is timber land(privately managed timber), the roads are gated now, sometimes they open them up during hunting season and I have taken the oppertunity to do just that, but I haven't been out for the past few years hunting. Since the gates are locked we can hike along the wooded, reprodded, and clear cut forests roads with out disturbance. Okay some disturbances do occur, like today we came upon a turkey, but what was really exciting was she had a quiver full of recently hatch chicks. When we got up to where she was, the chick all scattered and mother hen darted around us throwing a fuss with her wings stretched down trying to chase us away. We moved along and could hear her clucking away trying to regroup her little family.
We have been getting 6 plus miles on some of these walks and it is so nice to be there with my best friend and wife and getting in shape. And speaking of shape, we plan to reclimb middle sister this summer, a 10,000 foot peak we tried last year and with in 20 minutes from the summit a couple in our group just plain ran out of steam. My wife could hardly stand to go back down the steep descent to the saddle between Middle and North Sister. Once we got to the saddle a little lower elevation she started to perk up. to make the decent easier we took a different route down that allowed us to slide on our butts down a glacier. Once we got down we took our geocaching skills and let the GPS guide us back to our packs. A couple of photos I have posted in the past were from that trip.
Click on this image to see a larger size
Comments:
<< Home
I'm glad you're writing again. I like reading about your hiking adventures. Do your kids go with you much?
Hi Ann, my kids went on all the trips last summer except when I went on the scout 50 miler. If you look very closely on the ridge there is a speck on top, that is me and my baby girl. DW snapped this one.
Post a Comment
<< Home
